A&M’s ‘Fresh Take’ writing contest returns for its second iteration in 2021. This edition is held in partnership with KONNECT ASEAN, an ASEAN Foundation arts and cultural programme funded by the Republic of Korea, in search of new perspectives on the Southeast Asian or Korean art scene.
We would like to invite aspiring art writers to submit an article of 800 words on any one of the following:
- An analysis of an aspect of the regional or country-specific art market in Southeast Asia or Republic of Korea.
- A review of an art exhibition/event/activity relating to Southeast Asian or Korean art currently on view or one that opened no earlier than November 2020 anywhere in the world. These activations could have been experienced online.
- An opinion piece on a trend they have observed within their art community in Southeast Asia or Korea.
- An observational article on collaborations among art practitioners (galleries, artists etc.) in Southeast Asia and Republic of Korea.
Contestants are to provide a distinct and substantiated point of view in a well-structured article. It should engage the reader from the beginning with a strong headline and standfirst to the end with a clear conclusion.
As far as possible, contestants are to observe the writing style of articles published on artandmarket.net. If images are used, they are to be inserted into the article and captioned according to the A&M house style as well.
- The competition is open to citizens of the Republic of Korea and ten ASEAN Member States (Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Viet Nam).
- Candidates must be under 40 years old on 1 June 2021 to have their entries considered.
- These entries must not have been published before.
The winning entries, determined at the sole discretion of the A&M editorial team, will be published, and the winners will have the opportunity to continue contributing to A&M, with mentorship from the editor. In addition, the following prizes are sponsored by the ASEAN Foundation:
1st Prize: USD200
2nd Prize: USD150
3rd Prize USD100
Two special prizes: USD50 each
Submission To submit, please complete the Google Form here. The closing date is 1 June 2021. Winners will be notified by 15 July 2021 via email.
We look forward to reading your entries!